We use Descriptive statistics to calculate several statistical parameters at once like mean, sum, standard deviation, variance, etc. This summary statistics is done with the data analysis tool. This tutorial will teach all levels of Excel users how to do Descriptive Statistics.
Figure 1 – Result of descriptive stats
How to Run Descriptive Statistics
We will use the data below to run summary statistics. This statistic will be for values in Column C and Column D. For instance, where descriptive statistics displays SUM as 50,620, it is the sum of the values in Column C.
Figure 2 – How to use descriptive statistics
- To run descriptive statistics, we will click on the Data tab, and then, the Data Analysis tool
Figure 3 – How to get descriptive statistics
- We will click on Descriptive statistics in the Data Analysis dialog box and click OK
Figure 4 – How to run descriptive statistics
- We will click on Input range and select Cell C4 to Cell D13
- Remember that we are doing this statistics by Column, so we will check the Column Circle
- We can click on New worksheet for the descriptive statistics to display the result in a new worksheet or specify a range where the result will be displayed in the current worksheet
Figure 5 – Descriptive statistics dialog box
- We will click OK
Figure 6 – Result of descriptive stats