To calculate the average time we can use the AVERAGE function. Before applying the formula in the cell we should set the Time format to display data in the time values.
This step by step tutorial will assist all levels of Excel users in learning how to get the average time.
Calculate Average Time with AVERAGE Function
We can use the AVERAGE function to calculate the average time. Before applying the formula we should format the cell in the Time format:
- Right-click in the cell where we want to insert AVERAGE time formula
- Select Format Cells and in Number tab choose Time format
- Click OK and Time format will be set.
Figure 1. Format cells to get average time
Figure 2. Set Time format to calculate average time
To get the average time we should follow the steps:
- In the cell E2 insert function
- Press Enter
The average formula has a simple syntax, we just have to select the cell range where we want to calculate the average. Since we want to get an average of times, we will select the values from column Time. As a result in the cell E2, we get an average of time from column Time.
Figure 3. Calculating average time with AVERAGE function
How to get average time with Condition
There is another average function to get the average of time with a specific condition, AVERAGEIF function:
Formula syntax has two parts:
- Range, the cell range for average function
- Criteria, condition for using average function
We want to get the average of time but to exclude specific time, 1:05:00 PM. To do this we should follow several steps:
- As explained in the example above, set the Time format in the cell E3
- In the cell E3 insert the formula
- Press Enter
Figure 4. Calculate average time with condition
As a result, we get average time that excludes specific time “<>1:05:00 PM”.