We can use the Text to Column tool to separate values that are not similar into separate columns and rows. This tool helps us to split our data into different columns of the excel sheet. This tutorial will walk all levels of Excel users through the process of Converting Text to Columns and Rows.
Figure 1 – How to Convert Excel Text to Columns and Rows
How to Convert Text to Column
- We will use Figure 2 to illustrate the process of converting text to column.
Figure 2 – Data to convert text to column
- We will select the cells containing our data
Figure 3 – Select the cells with the data
- We will click the Data tab and click Text to columns
Figure 4 – Click Text to Columns
- We will click next
Figure 5 – Convert Text to Columns Wizard
- We will check the Comma and Space boxes
Figure 6 – Check the Comma and Space boxes
- We will click Finish
Figure 7 – Prompt to replace destination cells
- We will click OK
Figure 8 – Text converted to Columns
How to Convert Text to Rows
Excel does not have the Text to Row tool like Text to Column. We will use the Transpose tool to convert our Text to Rows.
- We will select and Copy the data
Figure 9 – How to Convert Text to Rows
- We will select a location where we want our new data to be pasted.
Figure 10 – Select location of new data
- We will right-click and select the Transpose tool under Paste options
Figure 11 – How to convert Text to Rows